The Good Stuff from 2012
Posted on December 31, 2012
Thank you for being so good to me. I think it’s safe to say that you were, by far, one of the greatest years of my life. Although the year as a whole has me leaving my head held high, there are 10 highlights that really round out this year of awesomeness for me:
1. The moment I finally felt comfortable wielding a knife (in Montauk of course).
2. Most delicious recipe: I ate this every Sunday night for 2 months straight after boozy weekends at the beach as an attempt at hydration.
3. Best breakthrough restaurant of 2012. This is me, in restaurant form. Run, don’t walk, to ABV.
4. Most exciting moment for my little blog: Healthy Living Summit and meeting the Greatist team (who then made me an ambassador!). It was at this summit where I learned the one true essential to blogging.
5. Sappiest post: Lightbulb.
6. Most preach-y post: My smoking point. This rant stemmed from one of the main reasons I started the blog, and after watching an HBO documentary I was feeling particularly riled up.
7. Second most exciting post: my blog turned one! I never imagined I would be able to keep this thing up for a whole year. Whodathunk.
8. The moment where I knew I actually had friends in San Francisco: the weekend we all went to Tahoe. My new family of friends are all I’ve got out in San Francisco, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. After spending the weekend with them, it really hit home for me. In particular, a shout out to Kathleen and Bridget (these old things?): you guys are the glue that hold me together.
9. Most surreal moment: Carrie got married.
I could not have been happier watching these two get married, but watching Carrie walk down the aisle I was struck with how fast time was flying. I had just been drinking blue Sparks in my early college years with her a couple of years prior, and now here she was, looking beautiful as ever, walking down the aisle in a big white dress. I was overwhelmed by how lucky I had felt to have been a part of Carrie’s life, and it was an honor to stand behind her as she married Matt.
Carrie: I hope to catch up to you soon so that we can be eating endless boxes of cinnamon sugar Poptarts together. I love you to the moon and back.
Thank you for all of the fun
fetti in 2012.
10. Post that took the most guts: Announcing that I was moving to San Francisco.
This was big for me. At the end of 2011, I was having rough go of it, and I wasn’t sure if or when I would climb out of that hole. Moving out to San Francisco had been in the works for over a year, and until the last few months before I moved, I wasn’t sure if I would be able to handle moving across the country. I was scared, and I didn’t want to leave home. Over time I turned a corner, and knew it was time to get over it. I was tired of being scared. We’re so young. We need to do things for ourselves, even if they scare us because if we don’t, then we don’t have much to measure ourselves by. We aren’t meant to sit and be comfortable allowing time to fly past us. Challenge yourself and make it a conscious decision to do so. I promise, you will be much happier because of it. I know I am.
Finally, thank you to everyone has continued to read the gibberish that I write here. I am still confused as to how I see my pageviews climb each week, but for whatever reason, thank you. It means the world to me. I love you all so very much.
I raise my glass to you, 2o12. Thank you for treating me well, and for priming me for a year that I have a feeling might surpass you in more ways than one.
Keep it green, kids.