I don’t know how this happens, but every weekend I blink my eyes and it’s Sunday night.  Wasn’t it only a few hours ago that it was Friday and I was on the train home?  This Sunday night, I was sitting in my living room at home in White Plains, struggling to keep my eyes open.  It was time to pack up my weekend things, and hop on the train back to NYC.

Rewind to Friday night, when after walking through my front door, it had quickly become apparent that my parents had read my desperate post, begging for some good food. Parents.  They really are the best, aren’t they?

My brother took the trip down from Syracuse to hang out with his cool sister, and my Grandma came over to supervise.

Every once in a while I will eat seafood if I know it’s sustainable, line-caught etc.  Shrimp was on the menu for the evening, and my Mom made sure I knew just exactly how responsible this shrimp was by telling me (every 15 minutes) how expensive it was at Whole Foods.  I appreciate the effort Mom, I really do.

Gosh.  Give me some butter, cheese, garlic, and pasta, and it will make me happy.  Outrageously delicious and soul-warming.  The company on the other hand…

Being ridiculously good looking is in our genes.  So are early bedtimes.

I had 10 miles planned for the next day, so I did what any normal person would do the night before… I stayed out until 2:30 AM hangin’ with franz and the bro (after he woke up from his disco nap).

Breakfast Saturday morning was 3 egg whites with 2 slices of Earth Balanced toast and a half of a grapefruit.

Speaking of Earth Balance, it was nice to see that my parents had a few of my everyday staples in their fridge.  I don’t think my Dad can tell the difference between EB and I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter.

About 2 hours later, I started gathering up all my running junk while eating a pre-run snack.

I was lucky enough to have my own water boy follow me on a bike and keep me company for the 10 miles.  Dear Dad, thanks for listening to me huff-and-puff for 10 miles as if this was the first time I’ve ever run more than half a mile.  Sincerely, your daughter.

We ran/biked on the bike path along the Bronx River Parkway.  It was a gorgeous day, but unfortunately most of my run was spent running into the sun under little shade.

Around mile 5 I ate a Gu and chugged some Gatorade.

I’m not going to try and sugar-coat it, and pretend like this run was easy. I felt every mile and am definitely feeling nervous about running the half next weekend.  I have a feeling I’ll be crawling across that finish line. Perhaps I won’t go out drinking the night before as pre-race prep. Dumb.

We had parked our car at my cousin’s house who lives close to the path, and we stopped by afterward so that I could momentarily collapse. I chugged some Gatorade while eating this slice of yummy vegan banana bread that my cousin made.  As I caught my breath, I tried to ignore the alarmed look on my little cousins faces as they asked their Mom “What’s the matter with Alex? Is she okay? Why is her face so red?”

I went home, showered, and promptly passed. the. heck. out.  It was a similar feeling to when I got my wisdom teeth taken out, as I crawled up the stairs exhausted, in pain, and slightly confused as to what just happened.  Like I said, I’m clearly in reaaaalllllyyyy good shape for next weekend.

I woke up, unsure of what time it was and made my way downstairs to see that my family had ordered from Ernesto’s (a local Italian place in White Plains).  Goodie.

I had some eggplant parm (cheese-less) with bread and salad. After dinner activity was egg dying. Naturally, shenanigans ensued.

He was so excited to dye these eggs.  What? He doesn’t look it?

I enjoyed some vanilla frozen yogurt after dinner.

I desperately attempted to rally for more bar-hopping with friends, but alas, I still felt like I had been hit by a truck.  Early bed time for me.

Sunday was split between two sides of the fam.  Brunch with Dad’s side, and lunch with Mom’s side, but not before baskets from the Easter bunny!

My cousin Lori, went above and beyond for me making sure that I had veg options.  She made these beautiful little veggie burgers, and I inhaled one topped with guac and salsa.  So so yummy.   Thanks LoLobadolo!

And an Easter birthday for Mike!

After peeling myself off of my couch, I stuffed all of the clean laundry I had quickly done into my bag, and headed back to NYC.  Apparently all of Manhattan had traveled out of the city and decided to take the 8:05 train back in together, so I stood in the aisle with infants and dogs snoozing away on the seats beside me.  It was a great weekend, and I made sure to end it on the right note.

PS.  MAD MEN. What?! God I love that show.